From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot edit files on usb flash drive.
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:53:21
1 On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > ubiquitous1980 wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>
7 >>> On Monday 08 March 2010 08:31:40 ubiquitous1980 wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>>
11 >>>> I have a usb flash drive which will not allow me to edit its files. I
12 >>>> have tried chmod a+rwx -R $files but this does still not permit
13 >>>> editing. Further, the files within the directories refuse to have
14 >>>> ownership changed via chown $myusername -R /mnt/disk. Output is:
15 >>>> operation not permitted. Any ideas? Thanks.
16 >>>>
17 >>>>
18 >>>
19 >>> This happens when the flash drive is type vfat. This excuse for a file
20 >>> system
21 >>> does not have a concept of owners and permissions so the kernel has to
22 >>> fudge
23 >>> it. You are finding that you cannot change these for the simple reason
24 >>> that
25 >>> they do not exist and the kernel is pretending they are owned by root
26 >>> with
27 >>> MODE 755 or some such.
28 >>>
29 >>> If hal is mounting the device, check your hal config, looking for some
30 >>> likely
31 >>> named option.
32 >>>
33 >>>
34 >>
35 >> What config file would this be? Can I find it in the handbook?
36 >>
37 >>>
38 >>> If the device is mounted via /etc/fstab, adjust the
39 >>> uid/gid/umask/dmask/fmask
40 >>> options to mount in column 4. Full details in the man page, under section
41 >>> "fat"
42 >>>
43 >>>
44 >>>
45 >>>
46 >>
47 >> I need to interact with university computers from time to time, any
48 >> other file system with proper permissions, to be used under both linux
49 >> and windows (without additional drivers)?
54 > I don't use these so I am by no means saying they work well.
55 >
56 > sys-fs/ntfs3g
57 >
58 > sys-fs/ntfsprogs
59 >
60 > I have read that the first one works pretty well but no first hand knowledge
61 > if it is true or not. You may want to read this as well.
62 >
63 > http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php
64 >
65 > You may just want to test this with something not so important for a bit and
66 > see how well this works for you.
67
68 You could also use ext2 and install the driver on Windows:
69 http://www.fs-driver.org/