From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot edit files on usb flash drive.
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 17:22:38
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> ubiquitous1980 wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> On Monday 08 March 2010 08:31:40 ubiquitous1980 wrote:
10 >>>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>>
13 >>>>> I have a usb flash drive which will not allow me to edit its files. I
14 >>>>> have tried chmod a+rwx -R $files but this does still not permit
15 >>>>> editing. Further, the files within the directories refuse to have
16 >>>>> ownership changed via chown $myusername -R /mnt/disk. Output is:
17 >>>>> operation not permitted. Any ideas? Thanks.
18 >>>>>
19 >>>>>
20 >>>>>
21 >>>> This happens when the flash drive is type vfat. This excuse for a file
22 >>>> system
23 >>>> does not have a concept of owners and permissions so the kernel has to
24 >>>> fudge
25 >>>> it. You are finding that you cannot change these for the simple reason
26 >>>> that
27 >>>> they do not exist and the kernel is pretending they are owned by root
28 >>>> with
29 >>>> MODE 755 or some such.
30 >>>>
31 >>>> If hal is mounting the device, check your hal config, looking for some
32 >>>> likely
33 >>>> named option.
34 >>>>
35 >>>>
36 >>>>
37 >>> What config file would this be? Can I find it in the handbook?
38 >>>
39 >>>
40 >>>> If the device is mounted via /etc/fstab, adjust the
41 >>>> uid/gid/umask/dmask/fmask
42 >>>> options to mount in column 4. Full details in the man page, under section
43 >>>> "fat"
44 >>>>
45 >>>>
46 >>>>
47 >>>>
48 >>>>
49 >>> I need to interact with university computers from time to time, any
50 >>> other file system with proper permissions, to be used under both linux
51 >>> and windows (without additional drivers)?
52 >>>
53 >>>
54 >>>
55 >>>
56 >> I don't use these so I am by no means saying they work well.
57 >>
58 >> sys-fs/ntfs3g
59 >>
60 >> sys-fs/ntfsprogs
61 >>
62 >> I have read that the first one works pretty well but no first hand knowledge
63 >> if it is true or not. You may want to read this as well.
64 >>
65 >> http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php
66 >>
67 >> You may just want to test this with something not so important for a bit and
68 >> see how well this works for you.
69 >>
70 > You could also use ext2 and install the driver on Windows:
71 > http://www.fs-driver.org/
75 The computers belong to a university so he may not be able to install
76 any drivers.
77
78 Dale
79