From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My laptop is freaking me out.
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:22:48
1 Ian K wrote:
2
3 >Hi there.
4 >My new laptop (Toshiba A70) is seriously weirding me out.
5 >It seems to be turning off (randomly?) while in KDE. I cannot
6 >distinguish any patterns uptime-wise, nor is it an actual power
7 >failure. (Nothing else dies, battery prescence is confirmed with
8 >hardware lighting, and this lighting indicates a full charge.
9 >I also see no real connections between what I am doing when
10 >the computer turns off. Once, I was browsing the web in Firefox,
11 >and tonight, I was playing around with the XScreensaver settings.
12 >I have noticed, that it seems to only happen while in KDE, although
13 >Im not 100% sure. Also, I have the KDE laptop battery monitor set
14 >to do *nothing* if the battery should reach a warning or critical
15 >power value. This has happened to be about 6 times over the last
16 >few days. I also just got KDE emerged, so I can say its been happening
17 >probably since it has been up. I have left it on for extended amounts
18 >of time in the regular CLI though, without any problems.
19 >I can't really think of anything else to say, but I should mention that
20 >it **seems** to do a safe shutdown, but Im not sure. The power is
21 >cut rather instantly, and I am not swished off into a system reboot
22 >message. When I start it up again, ReiserFS claims the file system is
23 >clean, and goes on to replay the journal as usual. Do any of
24 >you have any thoughts on this? Thanks a lot!
25 >Ian
29 Are you getting anything in /var/log/messages?
30
31 -Richard
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list