From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge world looking grim
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 12:41:58
1 On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 10:19 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Can anyone advise me which iso to use? And which profile to set for
3 > general use in a vbox, hopefully to allow a `no sweat' emerge to a
4 > full OS.
5
6 As others have pointed out you probably just need to update your gcc
7 and all will be well, or if you have it updated check gcc-config -l to
8 make sure you're using the latest version.
9
10 However, I did want to point out something else. Gentoo isos don't
11 actually contain any packages. They're nothing more than boot disks.
12 You can install Gentoo from an Ubuntu iso as easily as from a Gentoo
13 iso, and the Gentoo isos don't even boot on EFI. The software is all
14 in the stage3. However, I wouldn't really try to overwrite your
15 install with a stage3 at this point as it doesn't actually look like
16 you have any serious problems. You just need to do a bit of
17 housecleaning.
18
19 And a note to everybody else on the list: take it easy on the poor
20 guy. People used to other distros are used to doing things like
21 blowing away their installs every other year with a fresh install.
22 Release-based distros get people used to this kind of nonsense, and
23 the idea that FOSS comes on a shiny DVD. Portage's error messages
24 don't always help in this regard. Of course any Gentoo user has to be
25 willing to take the time to learn some of the nuts and bolts to keep
26 things running, but when it is obvious somebody doesn't understand
27 what they're doing we can educate rather than just point it out.
30 Rich