From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hints for using Unison?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:19:45
1 On 8/1/05, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:52:15 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > Possibly this problem is really an NFS issue or a 1394 issue? Neither
5 > > of these are overly tested, at least on my system under Gentoo. I ran
6 > > the same system with FC2 for quite awhile. 1394 worked fine as far as
7 > > I could tell, but I never used NFS much and I only jsut set up NFS
8 > > today to try out Unison so maybe it's one of those systems causing the
9 > > problem?
10 >
11 > You don't use NFS with Unison, give it hostnames and it will copy ther
12 > files with SSH.
13 >
14 > e.g. unison this box:/home/somedir ssh://otherbox/home/somedir
17 Neil,
18 Thanks. This is helping me get to the root cause. It appears that
19 the real problem has something to do with non-standard characters for
20 American English. The first directory that was failing was a Spanish
21 Edition of a CD. When I went and looked at it there were three songs
22 that used different sorts of accent character over vowels. I changed
23 these characters on both machines and then unison got further, so I
24 changed a second CD and it got further yet. Unfortunately I've been at
25 this about an hour and am just finishing up changing the "A"'s so I'd
26 like to try and understand what the issue here really is ad find a fix
27 that doesn't require making any changes.
28
29 The failure in unison is a dialog box with this message:
30
31 Uncaught exception Glib.convert.error(1, "Invalid byte sequence in
32 conversion input")
33
34 This failure is from the name "Angelique Kidjo" where a forward accent
35 appears over the first 'e' in Angelique. When I remove this unison
36 goes further but fails for more stuff like this.
37
38 I use a program called Aqualung (not in portage unfortunately) to
39 play these directories and it doesn't have any trouble with these
40 non-standard accent characters so why does unison?
41
42 One last thing. I note that when I change these characters on the
43 local machine that it takes one backspace in a terminal to erase the
44 character, while on the remote machine (logged in through ssh like
45 unison would be) it takes two backspaces to change the character. Does
46 this mean anything to you? It's beyond me. Note that locales are
47 probably not identical between the two machines.
48
49 Again, thanks to you and the other folks who responded. At least I
50 could probably get past this problem with a couple of days of work but
51 I'm hoping for a more internationalized solution.
52
53 Cheers,
54 Mark
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list