From: Carlos Hendson <skyclan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System freezes during compiles
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 21:51:25
1 On Wed, 2013-03-20 at 20:57 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > you might just hit a thrashing situation. Linux is very bad when it
3 > comes to abusing swap in case of an emergency.
4 >
5 > But it also sounds like overheating or a power problem. Power problems
6 > might be caused by the PSU - but it could also be the power circuitry
7 > of
8 > your mobo.
9
10 It's not a thrashing issue as I don't have any swap. The 8GB of ram has
11 been sufficient memory for all tasks thus far. I have no objection to
12 allocating some swap space if it could resolve the issue.
13
14 Actually, Grant and you both suggested possible heat issues which has
15 just made me think that I should check for dust build up in the CPU heat
16 sink. There so much dust where I live that I have to vacuum dust build
17 up from the case.
18
19 The sensors tool reports 51C, it doesn't appear to be running too hot,
20 but I don't have a baseline to compare it to. I see I need to implement
21 monitoring for this machine once it's stable again.
22
23 k10temp-pci-00c3
24 Adapter: PCI adapter
25 temp1: +51.0°C (high = +70.0°C)
26 (crit = +71.0°C, hyst = +66.0°C)
29 I'll give the inside a clean this weekend and see if there's any
30 improvement.
31
32 Thanks for the suggestions.
33