From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Leery of Gnome dependencies for Openoffice
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 01:27:59
1 So... this is just a case of this ebuild having a default setting of the
2 gnome USE flag turned on.
3
4 On 10/21/05, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >
6 > b.n. wrote:
7 >
8 > >> I'd very much like to run the regular build procedures, but am quite
9 > >> worried about what the pulling in of Gnome dependencies will do do my
10 > >> stable KDE system. About six months ago I installed whatever version of
11 > >> the Gnome desktop that was stable then, but ended up spending 3 or 4
12 > >> days trying to remove all remnants of it after I decided that I didn't
13 > >> really like it that well.
14 > >>
15 > >> Am I being overly concerned here, or are that legitimate problems I may
16 > >> encounter?
19 > > I don't know what do you mean. Why should installing Gnome
20 > > dependencies make your KDE desktop unstable?
21 > >
22 > > By the way,I didn't know OO.org 2.0 needs Gnome... why? And can
23 > > putting a USE="-gnome" flag help?
26 > OOo2 can render itself using native Gnome, KDE, or its own internal
27 > widget library. If compiled with support for both, it will detect if it
28 > is running under KDE or Gnome at startup, and load the appropriate
29 > library for rendering. Personally, I think it is a damn cool feature!
30 >
31 > -Richard
32 >
33 > --