From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recent changes to install procedure
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 16:04:36
1 On Saturday, 3 August 2019 16:45:07 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Aug 03, 2019 at 12:24:51AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote
4 > >
5 > >> I'll insert CHOST and MAKEOPTS to play safe. Any other gotchas in
6 > >> recent installs?
7 > >>
8 > > So far so good. The basic system is installed and booting. One
9 > >
10 > > question... can I just set the "bindist" USE flag globally. On a basic
11 > > text install (Xorg not installed yet) in package.use I've already set...
12 > >
13 > > dev-libs/openssl bindist
14 > > net-misc/openssh bindist
15 > > net-wireless/iw bindist
16 > > net-wireless/wpa_supplicant bindist
17 >
18 > Just out of curiosity I did a euse -i bindist. It seems what that flag
19 > does sort of depends on the package it is set for. You may want to
20 > investigate what it will do on those packages before setting it
21 > globally. Of course, if the majority of the time you want that enabled,
22 > you could disable it for those packages where it does something you
23 > don't want but have the default set to on. Whichever is easier.
24 >
25 > Hope that helps.
26 >
27 > BTW, I moved my tree and such to /var/cache/portage/ a few years ago.
28 > At the time, that was the location most supported but I guess time
29 > changed things and they picked another location. Other than knowing
30 > what location for emerge and friends to put and look for the related
31 > items, it doesn't matter where one puts it really, as long as
32 > permissions are correct.
33 >
34 > Dale
35 >
37
38 Unless you're building binaries to redistribute it doesn't make sense to set
39 it globally. I vaguely recall something going sideways with openssl when I
40 had this flag set in the past, so I've left it unset since.
43 Regards,
44
45 Mick