From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recent changes to install procedure
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 15:45:17
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sat, Aug 03, 2019 at 12:24:51AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote
3 >
4 >> I'll insert CHOST and MAKEOPTS to play safe. Any other gotchas in
5 >> recent installs?
6 > So far so good. The basic system is installed and booting. One
7 > question... can I just set the "bindist" USE flag globally. On a basic
8 > text install (Xorg not installed yet) in package.use I've already set...
9 >
10 > dev-libs/openssl bindist
11 > net-misc/openssh bindist
12 > net-wireless/iw bindist
13 > net-wireless/wpa_supplicant bindist
17 Just out of curiosity I did a euse -i bindist.  It seems what that flag
18 does sort of depends on the package it is set for.  You may want to
19 investigate what it will do on those packages before setting it
20 globally.  Of course, if the majority of the time you want that enabled,
21 you could disable it for those packages where it does something you
22 don't want but have the default set to on.  Whichever is easier.
23
24 Hope that helps.
25
26 BTW, I moved my tree and such to /var/cache/portage/ a few years ago.
27 At the time, that was the location most supported but I guess time
28 changed things and they picked another location.  Other than knowing
29 what location for emerge and friends to put and look for the related
30 items, it doesn't matter where one puts it really, as long as
31 permissions are correct.
32
33 Dale
34