From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel ricing
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 00:15:23
1 On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 09:58:17PM +1100, Adam Carter wrote
2
3 > I figured that just -march=amdfam10 was a good start, since it implies
4 > MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A, 3DNow!, enhanced 3DNow! and ABM, but i
5 > may add the rest of my make.conf CFLAGs since I dont have any issues
6 > with any other software on this system. Is that fair reasoning?
7
8 Two points...
9
10 1) Are you cross-compiling, or building on the system that'll be running
11 the kernel? If the build machine will be running the kernel, use
12 "-march=native". It detects what cpu you're running on and builds
13 accordingly.
14
15 2) Use the flags "-fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables" to
16 eliminate .eh_frame bloat. See the mailing list archive at
17 http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.busybox/36695 for the gory
18 details. The guys at busybox are anal about code bloat; this is an
19 important issue for them.
20
21 3) Unless you're debugging, you can get additional size reduction with
22 the "-fomit-frame-pointer" flag.
23
24 My make.conf has the following CFLAGS line...
25
26 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
30 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications