From: Shaw Vrana <shaw@××××××.com>
To: Ben Kelly <bkelly@×××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GTK fonts uglified after update
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:27:57
1 On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 09:54:16AM -0500, Ben Kelly wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 29 November 2006 12:13 am, Shaw Vrana wrote:
3 > > I just performed an emerge -Du world and found that the fonts in the few
4 > > gtk apps that I use (gaim and wireshark) have now become quite ugly. I
5 > > followed the wiki at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_and_Fonts to
6 > > beautify a while back and the changes I made there have remained intact
7 > > through the update.
8 >
9 > Are you running KDE with the gtk-qt theme engine? If so, I had a similar
10 > problem with fonts no longer being anti-aliased in gaim. I found the
11 > solution on this page:
12 >
13 > http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=9714
14 >
15 > Basically you need to change your General font setting in the control center.
16 > Once you make a change (any change) you can change it back to how you had it
17 > originally. Once you restart your gtk applications the fonts should be
18 > aliased again. There is no explanation for why this works, but it resolved
19 > the issue for me.
20
21 Wow, you're right, that fixed it! But I'm using the Crystal SVG theme.
22 I wonder what causes this nastiness? I'll hunt around for an appropriate
23 KDE mailing list and report it there.
24
25 Thank you!
26 Shaw
27 --