From: Kevin <koquinn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysterious freezes when browsing Internet
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 22:55:25
1 Peter Alfredsen wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 06 March 2007, Philip Webb wrote:
5 >> which does not offer any helpful advice.
6 >> There are no bugs answering to 'Epiphany freeze' or 'Konqueror freeze'.
7 >>
8 >> I'm using Kernel 2.6.18-gentoo, KDE 3.5.6 , Epiphany 2.16.3 & Xorg-x11 7.1
9 >> . Otherwise, my system is very stable & problem-free.
12 > I'm experiencing something similar at equally random intervals. I have had
13 > maybe 3 of these freezes since the end of December. I am reasonably sure it
14 > is not memory, since I have emerge -e world 3-4 times since then (don't ask)
15 > and I have never had any unreproducible gcc errors. At one time I had a
16 > routine that helped me replicate the problem (now I just avoid it):
17 > Go to forums.gentoo.org, grab a thread with massive posts. Click-drag a link
18 > quickly in circles. Boom!
19 > The last freeze I had was last week, when I had 10 Konqueror windows open with
20 > on average 3 tabs each. Rtorrent was running in the background and suddenly
21 > my system deadlocked. I could still move the mouse but I couldn't click on
22 > anything. I suspect that if I could bother to write down the magic SYSRQ
23 > keys, I would be able to do a clean reboot.
24 > The program I suspect is Konqueror (probably bad interaction with fglrx),
25 > since that is always open. I also always have Kmail, Konversation, Akregator,
26 > AmaroK, rtorrent and Kate running, though.
27 >
28 > AMD Athlon 2500+
29 > Ati X800 fglrx AGP
30 > 1 GB ram
31 > ~X86
32 > Kernel 2.6.19-gentoo-r4 (waiting for someone to make a stable .20)
35 Have you tried a 2.6.20 kernel just for grins (taking note of "waiting
36 for someone to make a stable .20" )? I experienced various lockups /
37 freezes with 2.6.19 that seem to have left me when I went to 2.6.20. I
38 was getting various timeouts on my ata controller that show in the logs
39 as the source of the freezes. Of course I run ck-sources, so I don't
40 know if the problem existed with the kernel itself or the ck patches.
41
42 My freezes would occur in firefox mostly of course I am almost always
43 browsing the Internet for something.
44
45 Of course, I just joined the gentoo-user mailing list today so forgive
46 me if this was already mentioned.
47 --
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list