From: Peter Alfredsen <peteralf@×××××××.dk>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysterious freezes when browsing Internet
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 22:42:51
1 On Tuesday 06 March 2007, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > which does not offer any helpful advice.
4 > There are no bugs answering to 'Epiphany freeze' or 'Konqueror freeze'.
5 >
6 > I'm using Kernel 2.6.18-gentoo, KDE 3.5.6 , Epiphany 2.16.3 & Xorg-x11 7.1
7 > . Otherwise, my system is very stable & problem-free.
8
9 I'm experiencing something similar at equally random intervals. I have had
10 maybe 3 of these freezes since the end of December. I am reasonably sure it
11 is not memory, since I have emerge -e world 3-4 times since then (don't ask)
12 and I have never had any unreproducible gcc errors. At one time I had a
13 routine that helped me replicate the problem (now I just avoid it):
14 Go to forums.gentoo.org, grab a thread with massive posts. Click-drag a link
15 quickly in circles. Boom!
16 The last freeze I had was last week, when I had 10 Konqueror windows open with
17 on average 3 tabs each. Rtorrent was running in the background and suddenly
18 my system deadlocked. I could still move the mouse but I couldn't click on
19 anything. I suspect that if I could bother to write down the magic SYSRQ
20 keys, I would be able to do a clean reboot.
21 The program I suspect is Konqueror (probably bad interaction with fglrx),
22 since that is always open. I also always have Kmail, Konversation, Akregator,
23 AmaroK, rtorrent and Kate running, though.
24
25 AMD Athlon 2500+
26 Ati X800 fglrx AGP
27 1 GB ram
28 ~X86
29 Kernel 2.6.19-gentoo-r4 (waiting for someone to make a stable .20)
32 /PA
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list