From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel config for eee w/Atom N270 CPU
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:22:33
1 Paul Hartman schrieb:
2 > On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Kelly Hirai<kelly@×××××××.edu> wrote:
3 >> the N270 is a single core with hyperthreading, which will apear as 2
4 >> cpus (with the same core id) in dmesg.
5 >
6 > Ah, I forgot about hyperthreading masquerading as multiple CPUs. In
7 > that case, Maxim can safely disable SMP if he wants to. I don't know
8 > if the theoretical speed gains of disabling SMP outweigh the
9 > theoretical speed gains of enabling hyperthreading. I think it'll
10 > probably be about the same either way.
13 Well, I don't know about real workloads but once I did a little
14 benchmark: One versus two instances of `dd < /dev/zero | md5sum`.
15
16 Two instances had a 30% higher throughput than one. I haven't tried it
17 with disabled SMP but I really can't imagine that the extra scheduling
18 would cost nearly enough to compensate for this.
19
20 From a technical point of view, I think HT makes more sense for an Atom
21 than for a Nehalem: The Atom has only one pipeline, no out-of-order
22 execution and probably a less effective branch prediction. HT might
23 compensate this.
24
25 However, I'm wondering if it wouldn't have been better to implement
26 out-of-order execution instead of HT (like VIA Nano, for example). Maybe
27 HT doesn't need as many transistors as out-of-order execution?
28
29 In the end, unless there is some hard evidence against the use of HT,
30 I'd say: They've spend their transistor budget on HT, now we should use
31 what we've got.