From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is an Intel motherboard RAID better or worse than software RAID?
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:45:34
1 Hi guys,
2
3 I've had some experience in the past with software (BIOS) RAID.
4 Obviously there would be a big performance difference with hardware vs
5 BIOS RAID. Has anyone done any benchmarks to the effect of BIOS vs
6 linux kernel RAID?
7
8 Thanks,
9 D
10
11 Wolfgang Liebich wrote:
12 > Hi,
13 > I'm in the process of setting up a new private computer. I've bought one
14 > with two drives b/c I wanted to setup a RAID system - RAID1 for
15 > important partitions, RAID0 for scratch files maybe.
16 > Additionally I would like to use LVM2 --- on my work PC I've grown to
17 > like the flexibility of that.
18 > The Intel DQ35JO motherboard now supports some kind of mobo based RAID.
19 > Is it better to use this HW raid, or to ignore that and use only the
20 > linux kernel's software RAID.
21 > Additionally the LVM2 utilities seem to have limited mirroring/striping
22 > capabilities of their own - I only want to use RAID levels 0 and 1
23 > anyways -- would LVM's methods be better here?
24 >
25 > Inquiring mind wants to know!
26 > - Wolfgang Liebich