From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Emerge order not deterministic !?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:51:20
1 On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:35:14 +0100, Jörg Schaible wrote:
2
3 > > Then use emerge --keep-going and portage will take care of skipping
4 > > failing merges for you.
5 >
6 > Ah, no, that's not an option. It breaks for a reason. Sometimes I can
7 > ignore that and look for it later and in this case I skip it, but
8 > normally I fix the problem first. However, you have to take care, which
9 > package you're actually skipping. Especially if the build order is
10 > different with resume.
11
12 --keep-going will emerge all unaffected packages, meaning you are then
13 working with a much smaller list when you try to fix the problem. At
14 least, that's the approach that normally works for me.
15
16 --keep-going is intelligent enough to skip any packages that depend on
17 the failed package. That means you often end up with a package list that
18 is a single branch dependency tree, so the order is unlikely to change.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 Rainbows are just to look at, not to really understand.