From: Hans <linux@××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Emerge order not deterministic !?
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 10:54:41
1 On 12/11/15 19:51, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:35:14 +0100, Jörg Schaible wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Then use emerge --keep-going and portage will take care of skipping
5 >>> failing merges for you.
6 >>
7 >> Ah, no, that's not an option. It breaks for a reason. Sometimes I can
8 >> ignore that and look for it later and in this case I skip it, but
9 >> normally I fix the problem first. However, you have to take care, which
10 >> package you're actually skipping. Especially if the build order is
11 >> different with resume.
12 >
13 > --keep-going will emerge all unaffected packages, meaning you are then
14 > working with a much smaller list when you try to fix the problem. At
15 > least, that's the approach that normally works for me.
16 >
17 > --keep-going is intelligent enough to skip any packages that depend on
18 > the failed package. That means you often end up with a package list that
19 > is a single branch dependency tree, so the order is unlikely to change.
22 I use the following commands to upgrade my Gentoo boxes:
23 emerge --sync
24 emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --backtrack=300
25 --changed-deps=y --keep-going=y @world -va
26
27 When necessary adding, deleting or changing use flags, keywords, masks.
28
29 Followed by:
30 emerge --depclean
31 revdep-rebuild
32
33 No more problems since using this sequence unless there is a bug in a
34 ebuild, like the one last one in busybox ebuild.