From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Random segfaults with gnome
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 03:01:24
1 On Jul 13, 2012 9:49 AM, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Nilesh Govindrajan
4 > <contact@××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Lately, ever since I installed gnome3 (3.2), a lot of things have gone
6 > > unstable. Gnome crashes a lot and pulseaudio too, on every start (I see
7 a
8 > > segfault by the equalizer module).
9 > >
10 > > My graphic card is on board i945 and I have set mesa to classic mode on
11 sw
12 > > and i915 families.
13 > >
14 > > I partially belive that this is because of -O3 in my make.conf, but
15 > > compiling a few packages using -O2 didn't do much good either. Moreover,
16 > > I've been using kde with -O3 since 2011 and never had such a problem.
17 > >
18 > > Nevertheless, I'm rebuilding everything with -O2 (emerge -e system,
19 emerge
20 > > -e world) with gcc 4.7 (no lto) just to see if that fixes the trouble.
21 > >
22 > > I have memtested and there's absolutely no problem with the RAM.
23 > >
24 > > What do you guys suggest?
25 >
26 > By GNOME you mean, gnome-shell? Do the crashes occur randomly, or can
27 > you reproduce them? Same with PulseAudio.
28 >
29 > https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Debugging
30 >
31 > Have you tried don what this page instructs?
32 >
33 > I've been using GNOME 3 since May last year. No major problems so far.
36 90% of NREs (Non Reproducible Errors) are caused by hardware problems.
37
38 MemTest, albeit a good and thorough diagnostic utility, only checks for
39 memory problem.
40
41 It is likely that some other component on the OP's mainboard is failing; a
42 component that lies outside the datapath exercised directly or indirectly
43 by MemTest.
44
45 Rgds,