From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Random segfaults with gnome
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 02:47:27
1 On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Nilesh Govindrajan
2 <contact@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Lately, ever since I installed gnome3 (3.2), a lot of things have gone
4 > unstable. Gnome crashes a lot and pulseaudio too, on every start (I see a
5 > segfault by the equalizer module).
6 >
7 > My graphic card is on board i945 and I have set mesa to classic mode on sw
8 > and i915 families.
9 >
10 > I partially belive that this is because of -O3 in my make.conf, but
11 > compiling a few packages using -O2 didn't do much good either. Moreover,
12 > I've been using kde with -O3 since 2011 and never had such a problem.
13 >
14 > Nevertheless, I'm rebuilding everything with -O2 (emerge -e system, emerge
15 > -e world) with gcc 4.7 (no lto) just to see if that fixes the trouble.
16 >
17 > I have memtested and there's absolutely no problem with the RAM.
18 >
19 > What do you guys suggest?
20
21 By GNOME you mean, gnome-shell? Do the crashes occur randomly, or can
22 you reproduce them? Same with PulseAudio.
23
24 https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Debugging
25
26 Have you tried don what this page instructs?
27
28 I've been using GNOME 3 since May last year. No major problems so far.
29
30 Regards.
31 --
32 Canek Peláez Valdés