From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pulseaudio - pipewire
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 16:34:11
1 On Wednesday, 3 August 2022 17:22:13 BST Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 9:15 AM hitachi303 <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > so there is a eselect news "2022-07-29-pipewire-sound-server" telling
8 > > that changes have been made.
9 > >
10 > > I care about having sound but don't care to much about how it is
11 > > working. Any suggestions which path will lead me to the goal of having
12 > > the least trouble in future?
13 > > Like is pulseaudio going to disappear so I will have do switch anyway?
14 > > Is pipewire that new that it'll be buggy for the years to come?
15 > >
16 > > Regards
17 >
18 > Many other distros are using it without major problems.
19 >
20 > Ubuntu still ships PulseAudio for its long term version which is what I use
21 > but I've
22 > not heard of any problems with the leading edge version.
23
24 I've been using pipewire with default settings and USE="-pulseaudio" in
25 make.conf. It works fine for my basic needs.