From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Movie editing softeware
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 20:59:57
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2021-12-21, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> As someone who has experimented with video editing software, I can
5 >> understand Wols on this.  What some of us needs is something similar to
6 >> 'video editing for dummys' except we need the software not the book.  At
7 >> one time, I wanted to remove like 20 or 30 seconds on the beginning and
8 >> about the same on the end of a few videos.  Hours later, still couldn't
9 >> figure it out.  Heaven forbid I wanted to remove something in the middle
10 >> as well or add a second or so of black screen.
11 > I've had pretty much the same experience with all of the GUI video
12 > editing software I've tried:
13 >
14 > 0. It takes at a day just to get one to build.
15 >
16 > 1. The GUI is always completely baffling, and there doesn't seem to
17 > be any commonality from one package to the next.
18 >
19 > 2. There's little or no documentation available other than lists of
20 > commands/features with descriptions that assume you already know
21 > how the program works. When you need to know how to accomplish a
22 > task, there's no help. It is always assumed you already know what
23 > command/feature to use.
24 >
25 > 3. The "project" structure and paradigm always seems to be WAY too
26 > complex for what I want to do and does nothing for me other than
27 > get in the way.
28 >
29 > 4. About 30% of the features/commands don't work at all, another 30%
30 > don't work they way the documentation says they do, and the rest
31 > have been renamed and moved to a different menu/panel/mode since
32 > the documentation was written.
33 >
34 > 5. All of the ones I've ever tried crashed frequently. They crash
35 > when adding a source, when adding or changing an edit,
36 > transitions, or effect. They crash when exporting/rendering.
37 >
38 > Melt is the only one I've ever been able to actually accomplish
39 > something useful with. The really nice thing is that you can write a
40 > bash (or other) program to automate stuff. If all you want to do is
41 > concatenate a directory full of video clips with some intro, outro,
42 > and transitions, you can write a script that does that and then run it
43 > on as many different directories or lists of files as you want.
44 >
45 > You don't have to set up a new project and start from scratch every time.
48 I never had Kdenlive to crash.  I just couldn't figure out how to make
49 it work.  As you say, most docs are out of date or for old versions.
50 I've seen that with Kicad too.  I kind of dread upgrading to Kicad 6.  I
51 actually masked it here until the bugs get worked out and the docs catch
52 up.
53
54 Maybe one day either the docs will catch up or they will make it easy to
55 figure out.  Maybe.  ;-)
56
57 Dale
58