From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Movie editing softeware
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 00:09:04
1 On 22/12/21 04:59, Dale wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2021-12-21, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> As someone who has experimented with video editing software, I can
6 >>> understand Wols on this.  What some of us needs is something similar to
7 >>> 'video editing for dummys' except we need the software not the book.  At
8 >>> one time, I wanted to remove like 20 or 30 seconds on the beginning and
9 >>> about the same on the end of a few videos.  Hours later, still couldn't
10 >>> figure it out.  Heaven forbid I wanted to remove something in the middle
11 >>> as well or add a second or so of black screen.
12 >> I've had pretty much the same experience with all of the GUI video
13 >> editing software I've tried:
14 >>
15 >> 0. It takes at a day just to get one to build.
16 >>
17 >> 1. The GUI is always completely baffling, and there doesn't seem to
18 >> be any commonality from one package to the next.
19 >>
20 >> 2. There's little or no documentation available other than lists of
21 >> commands/features with descriptions that assume you already know
22 >> how the program works. When you need to know how to accomplish a
23 >> task, there's no help. It is always assumed you already know what
24 >> command/feature to use.
25 >>
26 >> 3. The "project" structure and paradigm always seems to be WAY too
27 >> complex for what I want to do and does nothing for me other than
28 >> get in the way.
29 >>
30 >> 4. About 30% of the features/commands don't work at all, another 30%
31 >> don't work they way the documentation says they do, and the rest
32 >> have been renamed and moved to a different menu/panel/mode since
33 >> the documentation was written.
34 >>
35 >> 5. All of the ones I've ever tried crashed frequently. They crash
36 >> when adding a source, when adding or changing an edit,
37 >> transitions, or effect. They crash when exporting/rendering.
38 >>
39 >> Melt is the only one I've ever been able to actually accomplish
40 >> something useful with. The really nice thing is that you can write a
41 >> bash (or other) program to automate stuff. If all you want to do is
42 >> concatenate a directory full of video clips with some intro, outro,
43 >> and transitions, you can write a script that does that and then run it
44 >> on as many different directories or lists of files as you want.
45 >>
46 >> You don't have to set up a new project and start from scratch every time.
47 >>
48 > I never had Kdenlive to crash.  I just couldn't figure out how to make
49 > it work.  As you say, most docs are out of date or for old versions.
50 > I've seen that with Kicad too.  I kind of dread upgrading to Kicad 6.  I
51 > actually masked it here until the bugs get worked out and the docs catch
52 > up.
53 >
54 > Maybe one day either the docs will catch up or they will make it easy to
55 > figure out.  Maybe.  ;-)
56 >
57 > Dale
58 >
62 Gotta reply here - kdelive crashes at the drop of a hat with the files I
63 am using - very frustrating.  But the interface is such a crap shoot I
64 have given up on it - I'll try the other suggestions over the next few
65 days so I am ready next time..
66
67 BillK