From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo Healthy? (The Return)
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 18:24:00
1 On 7/8/07, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > > The problem is if you focus on usability for newbies, you'll focus
3 > > less on features and customization, or you'll have to find a way to
4 > > hide this customizability because customization confuses newbies, and
5 > > spending time dancing around the lesser populace is time wasted on
6 > > doing practical stuff ( While I'll admit theres got to be a half-way,
7 > > or gentoo will never get any fresh blood, but I'd prefer to entice
8 > > fresh blood from people who have some potential to improve the distro
9 >
10 > Great post Kent. I'd love to see more features to attract unskilled
11 > users, but I'd hate to have that slow down the development of features
12 > that I would actually use.
13 >
14 > The main camps we seem to be divided into are:
15 >
16 > 1. we don't want unskilled users
17 >
18 > and:
19 >
20 > 2. we do want unskilled users
21 >
22 > and most align with #1. It will be interesting to see how it turns
23 > out. I still think there is a huge long-term benefit to a large user
24 > base, even if many of those users start out unskilled.
25 >
26 > - Grant
27
28 Personally I don't think it's about Gentoo not wanting 'unskilled'
29 users, but that said I know I am an unskilled user in many eyes so I
30 suppose that's my survival instinct kicking in. ;-)
31
32 I think a more accurate message is 'Gentoo welcomes all, but as a
33 potential Gentoo user you must be willing to learn. Gentoo does not
34 attempt make *anything* 'easy or pretty' in preference to providing
35 complete control.' Add what you will. that's just a start.
36
37 My issues, as a low-end, non-power Gentoo user, is that there are some
38 applications that I'd absolutely love to run, such as mythfrontend via
39 a web browser, that continue to be beyond my skill set. I've worked
40 hours upon hours and failed. I know if I chose a different distro I
41 could run it out of the box. That done I'd lose portage and lots of
42 other things I really value far more so I forgo fun stuff to have a
43 really stable system. It's disappointing I don't have the skills to
44 make it work but I figure over time I can possibly gain them. It's
45 something to work toward, right?
46
47 - Mark
48 --