From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo Healthy? (The Return)
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 16:54:46
1 > The problem is if you focus on usability for newbies, you'll focus
2 > less on features and customization, or you'll have to find a way to
3 > hide this customizability because customization confuses newbies, and
4 > spending time dancing around the lesser populace is time wasted on
5 > doing practical stuff ( While I'll admit theres got to be a half-way,
6 > or gentoo will never get any fresh blood, but I'd prefer to entice
7 > fresh blood from people who have some potential to improve the distro
8
9 Great post Kent. I'd love to see more features to attract unskilled
10 users, but I'd hate to have that slow down the development of features
11 that I would actually use.
12
13 The main camps we seem to be divided into are:
14
15 1. we don't want unskilled users
16
17 and:
18
19 2. we do want unskilled users
20
21 and most align with #1. It will be interesting to see how it turns
22 out. I still think there is a huge long-term benefit to a large user
23 base, even if many of those users start out unskilled.
24
25 - Grant
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list