From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo in a xen VM
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 10:01:24
1 On Monday, December 08, 2014 11:17:26 PM lee wrote:
2 > "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
3 > > create 1 bridge per physical network port
4 > > add the physical ports to the respective bridges
5 >
6 > That tends to make the ports disappear, i. e. become unusable, because
7 > the bridge swallows them.
8
9 What do you mean with "unusable"?
10
11 > > pass virtual NICs to the VMs which are part of the bridges.
12 >
13 > Doesn't that create more CPU load than passing the port?
14
15 Do you have an IOMMU on the host?
16 I don't notice any significant increase in CPU-usage caused by the network
17 layer.
18
19 > And at some
20 > point, you may saturate the bandwidth of the port.
21
22 And how is this different from assigning the network interface directly?
23 My switch supports bonding, which means I have a total of 4Gbit/s between the
24 server and switch for all networks. (using VLANs)
25
26 > > But it's your server, you decide on the complexity.
27 > >
28 > > I stopped passing physical NICs when I was encountering issues with newer
29 > > cards.
30 > > They are now resolved, but passing virtual interfaces is simpler and more
31 > > reliable.
32 >
33 > The only issue I have with passing the port is that the kernel module
34 > must not be loaded from the initrd image. So I don't see how fighting
35 > with the bridges would make things easier.
36
37 Unless you are forced to use some really weird configuration utility for the
38 network, configuring a bridge and assiging the bridge in the xen-domain config
39 file is simpler then assigning physical network interfaces.
42 Joost