From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo in a xen VM
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 22:17:43
1 "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > create 1 bridge per physical network port
4 > add the physical ports to the respective bridges
5
6 That tends to make the ports disappear, i. e. become unusable, because
7 the bridge swallows them.
8
9 > pass virtual NICs to the VMs which are part of the bridges.
10
11 Doesn't that create more CPU load than passing the port? And at some
12 point, you may saturate the bandwidth of the port.
13
14 > But it's your server, you decide on the complexity.
15 >
16 > I stopped passing physical NICs when I was encountering issues with newer
17 > cards.
18 > They are now resolved, but passing virtual interfaces is simpler and more
19 > reliable.
20
21 The only issue I have with passing the port is that the kernel module
22 must not be loaded from the initrd image. So I don't see how fighting
23 with the bridges would make things easier.
27 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
28 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.