From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo in a xen VM
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 14:27:01
1 On 08/12/14 22:17, lee wrote:
2 > "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
3 >
4 >> create 1 bridge per physical network port
5 >> add the physical ports to the respective bridges
6 > That tends to make the ports disappear, i. e. become unusable, because
7 > the bridge swallows them.
8 and if you pass the device then it becomes unusable to the host
11 >> pass virtual NICs to the VMs which are part of the bridges.
12 > Doesn't that create more CPU load than passing the port? And at some
13 > point, you may saturate the bandwidth of the port.
14
15 some forward planning is needed. obviously if you have two file servers
16 using the same bridge and that bridge only has one physical port and the
17 SAN is not part of the host then you might run into trouble. however,
18 you can use bonding in various ways to group connections -- and in this
19 way you can have a virtual nic that actually has 2x 1GB bonded devices,
20 or if you choose to upgrade at a later stage you can start putting in
21 10GbE cards and the virtual machine sees nothing different, just access
22 is faster.
23 on the flip side you can have four or more relatively low bandwidth
24 requirement virtual machines running on the same host through the same
25 single physical port
26 think of the bridge as an "internal, virtual, network switch"... you
27 wouldn't load up a switch with 47 high bandwidth requirement servers and
28 then create a single uplink to the SAN / other network without seriously
29 considering bonding or partitioning in some way to reduce the 47into1
30 bottleneck, and the same is true of the virtual-switch (bridge)
31
32 the difference is that you need to physically be there to repatch
33 connections or to add a new switch when you run out of ports. these
34 limitations are largely overcome.
37 >> But it's your server, you decide on the complexity.
38 >>
39 >> I stopped passing physical NICs when I was encountering issues with newer
40 >> cards.
41 >> They are now resolved, but passing virtual interfaces is simpler and more
42 >> reliable.
43 > The only issue I have with passing the port is that the kernel module
44 > must not be loaded from the initrd image. So I don't see how fighting
45 > with the bridges would make things easier.
49 vif=[ 'mac=de:ad:be:ef:00:01,bridge=br0' ]
50
51 am i missing where the fight is ?
52
53 the only issue with bridges is that if eth0 is in the bridge, if you try
54 to use eth0 directly with for example an IP address things go a bit
55 weird, so you have to use br0 instead
56 so don't do that.
57 perhaps you don't need a full bridge and you might just prefer to lookup
58 macvlan instead.
59 this lets you create a new virtual device that behaves much more like a
60 secondary nic
61 e.g. in /etc/conf.d/net
62
63 macvlan_xenguest1="eth0"
64 mode_xenguest1="private"
65 mac_xenguest1="de:ad:be:ef:00:01"
66 config_xenguest1="192.168.1.12/24"
67 routes_xenguest1="default via 192.168.1.1"
68 modules_xenguest1="!ifplugd"
69
70 you can then
71 /etc/init.d/net.xenguest1 start
72
73 i'm not big into xen but i believe you should be able to pass this as a
74 "physical" device to xen and it then comes out on network interface eth0
75 this way you get to keep your port without it being eaten by the bridge
76 do let me know if this works with xen i'll add it to my toolbox