From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Continued Xorg crashes
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:56:05
1 On Freitag 17 April 2009, Dale wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > Does *anyone* have an idea what I should do to debug this further?
4 > > I've never managed to get good backtrace info under Gentoo so that's
5 > > probably a struggle I'd rather not deal with if possible, especially
6 > > for something as complicated as X. The segfault looks like something
7 > > uninitialized to me but what do I know... (Not much!)
8 > >
9 > > I can send all sorts of machine/Gentoo info if requested.
10 > >
11 > > Anyway, all thoughts appreciated.
12 > >
13 > > Cheers,
14 > > Mark
15 >
16 > I don't know if you have been following my recent thread or not but what
17 > version of gcc are you using? I was using gcc 4.3 and I am having
18 > multiple issues with a lot of things. I can't compile a kernel of if it
19 > compiles some things don't work, sound for example. Seamonkey crashes
20 > at times for no reason. I also had trouble with the new xorg-server
21 > crashing with me. Also, my camera and printer, which are USB, were no
22 > longer found.
23 >
24 > To fix this, I went back to gcc 4.1 and started a emerge -ev world. As
25 > things are being recompiled, things are getting back to normal. I'm not
26 > saying this will fix your issue but it may be something to consider if
27 > you are using gcc 4.3. So far, my camera and printer is back, I can
28 > compile a kernel with no errors and Seamonkey is being compiled as I type.
29 >
30 > Just something for you to ponder. Maybe when you have ran out of other
31 > ideas.
32 >
33 > Dale
34 >
36
37 Installed versions: 4.3.3-r2(4.3)!s(01:52:54 29.03.2009)(fortran mudflap
38 multilib nls openmp -altivec -bootstrap -build -doc -fixed-point -gcj -gtk -
39 hardened -ip28 -ip32r10k -libffi -multislot -n32 -n64 -nocxx -nopie -objc -
40 objc++ -objc-gc -test -vanilla)
41
42 are you sure its gcc and not the kernel you are using?