From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] it keeps growing
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 14:13:59
1 Hund wrote:
2 > On June 1, 2021 3:38:30 PM GMT+02:00, n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
3 >> 337 packages this month to be updated.  It keeps getting more and more.
4 >> Pretty soon, gentoo will overtake Bitcoin in energy use.
7 > One might then ask why you have so many packages? And why you have a computer that consumes enough power for you to be worried about it?
8 >
9 > --
10 > Hund
15 I was thinking along the lines of how many packages even binary distros
16 have to update.  I've installed binary based distros before and when
17 updating those, there can be hundreds, several hundred, packages to
18 upgrade.  Thing is, those same packages exist in Gentoo.  If one has a
19 very similar set of packages installed, odds are, almost the same
20 packages will update in either a source based distro like Gentoo or in a
21 binary based distro.  The only difference is Gentoo compiles from source.
22
23 If one is really concerned about compile times or the amount of power
24 needed to run Gentoo up to date, then one has to question not the
25 updates but why use Gentoo??  While some large packages are available in
26 binary, Firefox, Libreoffice etc, the vast majority of Gentoo is
27 compiled from source.  It's why most people use Gentoo, compile from
28 source with features set like you want.  If one is limited in hardware
29 or power, Gentoo may not be a good option.
30
31 Makes one think.
32
33 Dale