From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] it keeps growing
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 15:23:13
1 On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 7:14 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hund wrote:
4 > > On June 1, 2021 3:38:30 PM GMT+02:00, n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
5 > >> 337 packages this month to be updated. It keeps getting more and
6 more.
7 > >> Pretty soon, gentoo will overtake Bitcoin in energy use.
8 > >>
9 > >>
10 > > One might then ask why you have so many packages? And why you have a
11 computer that consumes enough power for you to be worried about it?
12 > >
13 > > --
14 > > Hund
19 > I was thinking along the lines of how many packages even binary distros
20 > have to update. I've installed binary based distros before and when
21 > updating those, there can be hundreds, several hundred, packages to
22 > upgrade. Thing is, those same packages exist in Gentoo. If one has a
23 > very similar set of packages installed, odds are, almost the same
24 > packages will update in either a source based distro like Gentoo or in a
25 > binary based distro. The only difference is Gentoo compiles from source.
26 >
27 > If one is really concerned about compile times or the amount of power
28 > needed to run Gentoo up to date, then one has to question not the
29 > updates but why use Gentoo?? While some large packages are available in
30 > binary, Firefox, Libreoffice etc, the vast majority of Gentoo is
31 > compiled from source. It's why most people use Gentoo, compile from
32 > source with features set like you want. If one is limited in hardware
33 > or power, Gentoo may not be a good option.
34 >
35 > Makes one think.
36 >
37 > Dale
38 >
39 > :-) :-)
40
41 I totally get why the Linux enthusiast or an IT guy tasked with specific
42 requirements runs Gentoo. I did from 2001 through maybe early 2018.
43
44 There are numerous reasons I moved from Gentoo to Kubuntu 3-4 years ago:
45
46 - Kubuntu updates take, in general, less than 1 minute, almost never more
47 than 5, with an average of 2-3/week. I don't believe I spend more than 10
48 minutes on average any week maintaining my machines. Most important to me
49 is in 3-4 years not a single one has failed. Download a little binary,
50 install, done. Distribution updates (major rev -> major rev) take less than
51 an hour and this is once a year or two. They are so infrequent that I
52 typically forget how to do them and have to go read instructions.
53
54 - Maintaining a simple Gentoo install with no desktop from source wasn't
55 bad but the KDE overhead on older laptops was insane for my needs.
56
57 - I personally could not perceive any speed advantages in my daily life
58 running Gentoo. I'm sure there would be some if I was into benchmarking but
59 I'm not.
60
61 - Gentoo lost its way (IN MY OPINION ONLY, and maybe it's better now) 4-5
62 years ago in terms of a simple 'stable' release. There was a time when I
63 couldn't update without ~amd64-ing some packages.
64
65 - I use two paid-for non-open source applications - Harrison Mixbus (based
66 on Ardour) and PixInsight. It's WAY easier to get support when running the
67 same distro these vendor runs and it's been a BIG help in my life to get
68 that support.
69
70 Sadly, I don't have nearly the knowledge of how things work under the
71 hood on Kubuntu and the user level community is very quiet so I try to make
72 general contributions here just to stay connected. This is still the best
73 user group I know of. Friendly, informative experts.
74
75 Just my 1.5 cents worth as I listen to Hunky Dory,
76 Mark