From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] it keeps growing
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:37:59
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 7:14 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Hund wrote:
8 > > > On June 1, 2021 3:38:30 PM GMT+02:00, n952162 <n952162@×××.de
9 > <mailto:n952162@×××.de>> wrote:
10 > > >> 337 packages this month to be updated.  It keeps getting more and
11 > more.
12 > > >> Pretty soon, gentoo will overtake Bitcoin in energy use.
13 > > >>
14 > > >>
15 > > > One might then ask why you have so many packages? And why you have
16 > a computer that consumes enough power for you to be worried about it?
17 > > >
18 > > > --
19 > > > Hund
20 > > >
21 > > >
24 > > I was thinking along the lines of how many packages even binary distros
25 > > have to update.  I've installed binary based distros before and when
26 > > updating those, there can be hundreds, several hundred, packages to
27 > > upgrade.  Thing is, those same packages exist in Gentoo.  If one has a
28 > > very similar set of packages installed, odds are, almost the same
29 > > packages will update in either a source based distro like Gentoo or in a
30 > > binary based distro.  The only difference is Gentoo compiles from
31 > source.
32 > >
33 > > If one is really concerned about compile times or the amount of power
34 > > needed to run Gentoo up to date, then one has to question not the
35 > > updates but why use Gentoo??  While some large packages are available in
36 > > binary, Firefox, Libreoffice etc, the vast majority of Gentoo is
37 > > compiled from source.  It's why most people use Gentoo, compile from
38 > > source with features set like you want.  If one is limited in hardware
39 > > or power, Gentoo may not be a good option.
40 > >
41 > > Makes one think.
42 > >
43 > > Dale
44 > >
45 > > :-)  :-)
46 >
47 > I totally get why the Linux enthusiast or an IT guy tasked with
48 > specific requirements runs Gentoo. I did from 2001 through maybe early
49 > 2018.
50 >
51 > There are numerous reasons I moved from Gentoo to Kubuntu 3-4 years ago:
52 >
53 > - Kubuntu updates take, in general, less than 1 minute, almost never
54 > more than 5, with an average of 2-3/week. I don't believe I spend more
55 > than 10 minutes on average any week maintaining my machines. Most
56 > important to me is in 3-4 years not a single one has failed. Download
57 > a little binary, install, done. Distribution updates (major rev ->
58 > major rev) take less than an hour and this is once a year or two. They
59 > are so infrequent that I typically forget how to do them and have to
60 > go read instructions.
61 >
62 > - Maintaining a simple Gentoo install with no desktop from source
63 > wasn't bad but the KDE overhead on older laptops was insane for my needs.
64 >
65 > - I personally could not perceive any speed advantages in my daily
66 > life running Gentoo. I'm sure there would be some if I was into
67 > benchmarking but I'm not.
68 >
69 > - Gentoo lost its way (IN MY OPINION ONLY, and maybe it's better now)
70 > 4-5 years ago in terms of a simple 'stable' release. There was a time
71 > when I couldn't update without ~amd64-ing some packages.
72 >
73 > - I use two paid-for non-open source applications - Harrison Mixbus
74 > (based on Ardour) and PixInsight. It's WAY easier to get support when
75 > running the same distro these vendor runs and it's been a BIG help in
76 > my life to get that support.
77 >
78 >    Sadly, I don't have nearly the knowledge of how things work under
79 > the hood on Kubuntu and the user level community is very quiet so I
80 > try to make general contributions here just to stay connected. This is
81 > still the best user group I know of. Friendly, informative experts.
82 >
83 > Just my 1.5 cents worth as I listen to Hunky Dory,
84 > Mark
87 On the few binary distros I've dealt with, they update about as much as
88 Gentoo does.  The ones that don't, tend to run behind.  I installed one
89 for a temporary test and the packages on it was several versions behind
90 even stable Gentoo.  It was far behind unstable on Gentoo.
91
92 If one wants smaller updates or is concerned about power usage during
93 updates, Gentoo is likely not a good choice.  Compiling takes time and
94 uses power.  It's just the way Gentoo works. It's always been that way
95 and as long as it is a source based distro, it will remain that way.
96 Gentoo isn't the right choice for every application.
97
98 Just my 2 cents.
99
100 Dale