From: Greg Bur <greg.bur@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommend me a good PCMCIA wireless network card
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 07:42:37
2 > Just remember, if the laptop isn't going too far, a good length of Ye
3 > Olde Cat5e is a much cheaper solution. That being said...
4
5 Changes the possible security implications too...
9 > Yeah, I picked up a great Orinoco (branded as Enterasys) at
10 > Rokland.com last month for roughly $50. Atheros chipset, 802.11a/
11 > SuperA/b/b+/g/SuperG... very nice. It works in Windows (with the
12 > driver CD), Mac OS X (with the shareware OrangeWare driver--totally
13 > worth the $15 shareware fee) and, naturally, Linux (with MADWIFI).
14 > It picks up Channels 1 through 14, and can put out up to 100 mW of
15 > power (40 mW on A networks).
16
17 I forgot about Enterasys and Atheros. The Orinoco-based cards have
18 power output of around 24mW and the sensitivity is right around -83dB
19 which I've found works well in most situations. I usually see about
20 3.5mbps of throughput when "connected" at 11mbps. Could be better but
21 it gets the job done. Btw, I think YDI (Terabeam) still sells an
22 Orinoco-based card. They've got really good support should you need
23 it.
24
25 > There's no antenna jack, though, but I hear most PCMCIA Orinocoes can
26 > be modded to include some kind of external jack; I'm not that
27 > desperate for power, but with dial-up at home, I might do that mod
28 > and build a yagi antenna, get in my car, and... well, you get the
29 > idea. :-)
30
31 I've got three or four of the cards back from the days when they were
32 still made by Lucent and with the proper pigtail you can connect an
33 external antenna. In fact I used to use Orinoco PC cards with a PCI
34 adapter to deliver high-speed access to folks around here and they
35 worked quite well, then the telco showed up with DSL but that's
36 another story. As for the newer cards, I believe the Proxim cards can
37 be modded by opening the antenna housing on the card to get to the
38 antenna connector. If you want to go to an external antenna check
39 with YDI, I think they still make PC cards with external antenna
40 connectors.
43 > Still haven't had any luck with KisMAC (the OS X port of Kismet),
44 > though. It finds my card but doesn't detect my wireless network...
45 > I'll figure it out eventually.
46
47 Maybe the drivers don't support monitor mode? That's what I ran into
48 with Linux but that was only a kernel patch away and my experience
49 with KisMAC is exactly zero...
54 http://pizon.org
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list