From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slooooow gnome dialog
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 17:50:31
1 On 04 January 2007 18:11, Bruno Lustosa wrote:
2 > Hello.
3 >
4 > I'm using audacious as my music player, and having all sorts of trouble
5 > with it. As it's a gnome application, it uses all of its dialog windows.
6 > For example, when I press the eject to add files, it opens the gnome
7 > open dialog. And here starts the problems.
8 > As a background, I have my /home mounted via NFS.
9 > When I try to switch into my home dir, it takes a few seconds to
10 > display it all. I don't know why it takes so much to simply render my
11 > home dir.
12
13 This has probably nothing to do with GNOME (though I am not a GNOME user and
14 can't tell for sure). First of all, NFS is slow if you aren't on a Gb
15 network. Secondly, speed depends on the number of objects in you home
16 directory. I mean toplevel object, files and first subdirectories in there. I
17 have got over 2000 in mine (before you ask: I am lazy and haven't sorted
18 those files into appropriate subdirs) and my (KDE) open dialog always takes a
19 while although my home dir isn't mounted via NFS.
20
21 So, how many objects are in your home dir? Try:
22 ls -1 | wc
23 That "-1" is the digit one. The first number in its output will tell you.
24
25 > The real annoying problem is when I try to enter my 'mp3' directory by
26 > typing it. It's not a real directory, but rather a symlink to another
27 > mounted partition where my mp3 files are.
28 > If I simply type 'mp3' and press enter, audacious freezes and starts
29 > consuming 100% cpu.
30
31 Can't say anything about this.
32
33 Uwe
36 A fast and easy generator of fractals for KDE:
37 http://www.SysEx.com.na/iwy-1.0.tar.bz2
38 Proof of concept of a TSP solver for KDE:
39 http://www.SysEx.com.na/epat-0.1.tar.bz2
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list