From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] forcing file removal, fails with ESTALE
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 03:07:08
1 Andrey Vul wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 19:15, Iain Buchanan<iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
3 >> Qian Qiao wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 18:13, Andrey Vul<andrey.vul@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> I'm trying to remove a file, yet it fails with ESTALE ("Stale NFS file
6 >>>> handle"). I'm thinking that this is due to a corrupt inode but fsck
7 >>>> fails to fix it.
8
9 snip
10
11 >>> It's just a stale handle, i.e., some process opened the file, but the
12 >>> file is then deleted, moved or renamed by another process.
13 >>>
14 >>> If you know what process is holding the handle of the non-existent
15 >>> file, restart it, if not, re-mount the file system.
16 >>>
17 >> `umount -l` might help you there.
18 >>
19 > Umount -l fixes inconsistent inodes / directory entries?
20 > I thought only fsck -f could do that.
21
22 no, but it does help you unmount a file system if a process is holding a
23 file open, but you don't know which one, as per the suggestion I replied
24 to "remount the file system" :)
29 <sj7trunks> so after updating glibc i just need to emerge -eup
30 <carpaski> -e == truck
31 <carpaski> -u == small cat
32 <carpaski> -eu == truck running over small cat