From: Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] forcing file removal, fails with ESTALE
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 01:16:40
1 On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 19:15, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > Qian Qiao wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 18:13, Andrey Vul<andrey.vul@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> I'm trying to remove a file, yet it fails with ESTALE ("Stale NFS file
7 >>> handle"). I'm thinking that this is due to a corrupt inode but fsck
8 >>> fails to fix it.
9 >>>
10 >>> Is /lib/rc/console/unicode suppoed to be NFS or do I need to do a long
11 >>> hard fsck of /?
12 >>> --
13 >>> Andrey Vul
14 >>>
15 >>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
16 >>> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
17 >>> A: Top-posting.
18 >>> Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
19 >>
20 >> It's just a stale handle, i.e., some process opened the file, but the
21 >> file is then deleted, moved or renamed by another process.
22 >>
23 >> If you know what process is holding the handle of the non-existent
24 >> file, restart it, if not, re-mount the file system.
25 >
26 > `umount -l` might help you there.
27 Umount -l fixes inconsistent inodes / directory entries?
28 I thought only fsck -f could do that.
29 Anyways, I rebooted into bb (init=/bin/bb) and ran /sbin/jfs_fsck -f /dev/root .
30 That fixed the stale file handle.
31 You know it's fsck -f time when dmesg has "jfs_lookup: cannot read #####" lines.