From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] forcing file removal, fails with ESTALE
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 00:16:27
1 Qian Qiao wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 18:13, Andrey Vul<andrey.vul@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I'm trying to remove a file, yet it fails with ESTALE ("Stale NFS file
4 >> handle"). I'm thinking that this is due to a corrupt inode but fsck
5 >> fails to fix it.
6 >>
7 >> Is /lib/rc/console/unicode suppoed to be NFS or do I need to do a long
8 >> hard fsck of /?
9 >> --
10 >> Andrey Vul
11 >>
12 >> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
13 >> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
14 >> A: Top-posting.
15 >> Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
16 >
17 > It's just a stale handle, i.e., some process opened the file, but the
18 > file is then deleted, moved or renamed by another process.
19 >
20 > If you know what process is holding the handle of the non-existent
21 > file, restart it, if not, re-mount the file system.
22
23 `umount -l` might help you there.
28 WARNING:
29 Reading this fortune can affect the dimensionality of your
30 mind, change the curvature of your spine, cause the growth
31 of hair on your palms, and make a difference in the outcome
32 of your favorite war.