From: Qian Qiao <qian.qiao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] forcing file removal, fails with ESTALE
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 18:33:35
1 On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 18:13, Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm trying to remove a file, yet it fails with ESTALE ("Stale NFS file
3 > handle"). I'm thinking that this is due to a corrupt inode but fsck
4 > fails to fix it.
5 >
6 > Is /lib/rc/console/unicode suppoed to be NFS or do I need to do a long
7 > hard fsck of /?
8 > --
9 > Andrey Vul
10 >
11 > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
12 > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
13 > A: Top-posting.
14 > Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
15
16 It's just a stale handle, i.e., some process opened the file, but the
17 file is then deleted, moved or renamed by another process.
18
19 If you know what process is holding the handle of the non-existent
20 file, restart it, if not, re-mount the file system.
21
22 -- Joe
25 There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and
26 those who can't.