From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrade Question
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 09:35:59
1 On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 09:27:38 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > > Maybe you should consider to use ccache. It considerable reduces the
4 > > merge time if you have to rebuild a package.
5 >
6 > It also creates elusive build failures with some packages, which is why
7 > I stopped using it.
8 >
9 > > Tue Oct 22 22:05:31 2013 >>> app-office/libreoffice-4.1.2.3
10 > > merge time: 1 hour, 24 minutes and 27 seconds.
11 > >
12 > > Fri Nov 1 19:06:17 2013 >>> app-office/libreoffice-4.1.2.3
13 > > merge time: 9 minutes and 5 seconds.
14 >
15 > Impressive, I think I'll try enabling it for specific packages that will
16 > benefit and don't cause problems.
17
18 On the other hand, after reading man make.conf, maybe it is not such a
19 good idea except in very limited cases.
20
21 Warning: This feature is known to cause numerous compilation failures.
22 Sometimes ccache will retain stale code objects or corrupted files, which
23 can lead to packages that cannot be emerged. If this happens (if you
24 receive errors like "File not recognized: File truncated"), try
25 recompiling the application with ccache disabled before reporting a bug.
26 Unless you are doing development work, do not enable ccache.
27
28 That reads more like an instruction than a recommendation.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 Sarchasm : The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person
35 who doesn't get it.