From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 3Com PCMCIA network card not recognised
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 03:19:33
1 On 13/12/2010, at 10:53pm, Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday 13 December 2010 07:44:51 Stroller wrote:
3 >>
4 >> The only things I've done is to recompile my kernel a couple of times -
5 >> once to add in the drivers statically (CONFIG_PCMCIA_3C589=y), instead of
6 >> as modules, to see if that would make a difference, and second time to
7 >> match another PCMCIA option that differed. Neither made any difference.
8 >> ...
9 >
10 > What do you get in log messages and dmesg when you compile
11 > CONFIG_PCMCIA_3C589=m and run modprobe -v
12
13 Exactly the same thing. If I `modprobe -v 3c589_cs && lsmod | grep -i 3c` I can see the module loaded, but I see exactly the same single line of text (and nothing more) when I plug the card in; the card is not shown in `ifconfig -a`. It doesn't make any difference if I load the module before plugging the card in or afterwards.
14
15 The only remaining things I can think to do are to `make clean` before compiling my kernel and trying the exact .config & kernel version from the system rescue CD. I'm not optimistic of those, however - I still think I'm likely overlooking something stupid.
16
17 Stroller.