From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rng-tools
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 01:16:15
1 On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 5:32 AM, Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hello Michael,
5 > On 03/03/2012 02:48 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
6 >> The version of the rng-tools Debian package I'm using is
7 >> '2-unofficial-mt.14-1~60squeeze1'. Are the -T and -R parameters unique
8 >> to Debian, or is the Gentoo package simply out of date?
9 >
10 > Yes, version 2-unofficial-mt.14* is a Debian fork.  Quoting from its
11 > README file:
12 >
13 >  rng-tools, unofficial Debian fork
14 >  =================================
15 >
16 >  NOTICE:
17 >  This is an unofficial version of rng-tools with a lot of added
18 >  functionality and bugs, for which I assume total blame.  Don't bother
19 >  rng-tools upstream with problems you find in this version of
20 >  rng-tools.
21 >
22 >  rng-tools unofficial-mt is a living reminder to myself to not modify
23 >  upstream code without sending the changes upstream at every step.
24 >  Suddenly, you have a mass of changes too big to send upstream, and
25 >  yet you find yourself without the energy to break them into smallish
26 >  patches to submit upstream (i.e. to "unfork").
27 >
28 >  [..]
29 >
30 > If you would rather use Debian's version in Gentoo, give
31 >
32 >  sys-apps/rng-tools-2_p14
33 >
34 > a try, which I have just added to overlay betagarden:
35 >
36 >  # layman -a betagarden
37 >  # emerge =sys-apps/rng-tools-2_p14
38 >
39 > If you would like to see features from Debian's fork in rng-tools 3.x
40 > and beyond, please step up and help rng-tools' upstream integrate
41 > Debian's changes.
42
43 Thanks to all who replied...I haven't pursued rng-tools on gentoo as I
44 got a TRNG that's plugged into one of my Gentoo systems.
45
46 Meanwhile, I've been working on a package called etools, which may be
47 of interest and use to people who care about their system's entropy.
48
49 https://github.com/mikemol/etools
50
51 entwatch works and is useful now.
52
53 entbuff worked before I started putting stuff in git. When I've got it
54 working again, and once I've written manpages for it, the etools
55 package will be ready for a 1.0 release.
56
57 entmesh doesn't have a single line of code written yet, but it's going
58 to be the jewel of the thing, intended to help solve entropy
59 starvation issues in servers and virtual machines in environments
60 where a trusted external entropy source might be found.
63 :wq