From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Boot Gentoo to clean windows
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 18:53:42
1 On 28 Mar 2008, at 16:43, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
2
3 > Stroller wrote:
4 > <snip important, informative stuff>
5 >> Be aware that sometimes Windows isn't cleanly fixable. Although I
6 >> try to avoid it until I've exhausted avenues for a clean repair,
7 >> sometimes the best thing to do is simply to back-up & reinstall.
8 >
9 > Think this is a great write up.
10 >
11 > The last paragraph seems most important - given today's
12 > professionally-authored compromises, the best thing to do may be
13 > presume
14 > that you've been rooted with redundancy, and simply be prepared to
15 > quickly rebuild the box from scratch.
16 >
17 > Especially if you use the computer for business or other sensitive
18 > matters.
19
20 Certainly. I have a number of machines which use roaming-profiles on
21 a Windows domain, mail stored on an IMAP server, and I would have no
22 hesitation in reinstalling if I thought it necessary.
23
24 > So arguably, one should use the second OS (Linux or Windows) as a
25 > diagnostic tool to determine if it's compromised or not, and except
26 > for something simple (e.g. an infection vector caught before
27 > activation by an AntiTrojan scanner in a browser cache, mail
28 > letter, etc.), one should simply rebuild the box.
29
30 I take your point on board - it depends upon how paranoid you want to
31 be over the particular PC and its use.
32
33 I don't mean paranoid in a negative way, here, of course.
34
35 > So to the above, I'd add a "have a rebuild strategy" i.e. copies
36 > of data (not executables), addresses, passwords, etc. that can be
37 > quickly returned to a rebuilt OS. Windows benefits greatly from
38 > rebuilding - a rebuilt box will seem quicker and faster than ever
39 > before, and won't have lingering "relics" from earlier maintenance
40 > levels.
41
42 Yes, this is great if you can. Unfortunately many of the most-hosed
43 Windows PCs tend to come from home users who have no backup regimen
44 in place. How can one be sure that _all_ data is restored? Many times
45 my customers - those that use Outlook or Outlook Express - have no
46 idea of their email password or wireless-network key, having had the
47 "remember" box ticked since they set the machine up 2 years ago.
48
49 I would attribute most of the breakage I see not to sophisticated
50 viruses, but to poorly-written "sponsorware". to "adware" removers
51 that may delete files arbitrarily, to Windows bugs and to filesystem
52 corruption (for instance: because the user likes to switch their PC
53 off at the wall-socket, and was too impatient when it was shutting
54 down!).
55
56 Oftentimes, a Windows reinstall gives as much performance improvement
57 as buying a new PC would do, and many users are very glad to get a
58 "new" machine that is so clean and fresh (this is characterised by
59 the reduced number of icons on the desktop - from 30+ to about 5!).
60 But this has to be compromised against disruption to the user's
61 environment - they may be very familiar with the way everything's set
62 up, and all their favourite software is installed. With a not-booting-
63 but-otherwise-fairly-clean PC this may tip the balance. Unfortunately
64 one often cannot tell whether reinstall or repair is the best
65 solution until one has already made a good attempt at repairing the
66 system!! And you often don't discover which software - amongst all
67 the crud of different p2p, photo programs and whatnot - that users
68 depend on, until you after return the machine and they complain "my
69 icon is missing" (with usually only a very generic description of
70 what the icon does).
71
72 One of my biggest bugbears against reinstalling is drivers. Dell &
73 Sony are wonderful! You just enter the tag or model number on their
74 website and the correct drivers are listed. Advent - and here, in the
75 UK, other "brands" of computer which are only available "exclusively"
76 from PC World - can be a royal PITA, and once every month or two I
77 encounter a machine for which it takes HOURS to find the correct
78 drivers for all devices.
79
80 Stroller.
81 --