From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Errors in nonexistent partitions - FIXED
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 11:33:50
1 On Thursday, 17 September 2020 09:34:04 -00 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday, 14 September 2020 09:38:10 BST antlists wrote:
3 > > On 14/09/2020 08:48, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > > Just before this started, I booted Win-10 on /dev/sdb and ran its update
5 > > > process. I don't use it for anything at the moment, just keeping it up
7 > > > date in case I ever do. I do this most weeks, but is it possible that
8 > > > Win-10 tampered in some way that it hasn't before? I'm seeing these
9 > > > errors on/dev/ sda (which does have an NTFS partition) and /dev/nvme0n1
10 > > > (which does not), but not on /dev/sdb.
11 > >
12 > > I know Windows has hidden partitions and things, but it shouldn't be
13 > > tampering with the partition table. What sector does sda1 start on? It
14 > > should be something like 2048. I don't play with that enough to really
15 > > know what's going on, but if that number is single digits then that
16 > > could be the problem ...
17 >
18 > Well, I bit the bullet and started again with a new GPT partition table. I
19 > made the partitions the same sizes as before, but this time when I ran
20 > mkfs.ext4 on them, I wasn't told that a file system already existed with the
21 > same name. Something had evidently been changed.
22 >
23 > Then followed three days of trying to get the system to boot. Even though
24 > the root and /boot partitions were exactly as before and I gave the same
25 > commands to efibootmgr and bootctl, either the BIOS couldn't find a kernel,
26 > or it did but then the kernel couldn't find a file system.
27 >
28 > In the end I pointed efibootmgr at the systemd directory and it then
29 > started. That was definitely a new arrangement.
30 >
31 > The Gentoo wiki could do with some expert revision; it doesn't explain any
32 > of the structure, so when its commands don't return the expected result,
33 > I'm left with guesswork. For example, I've only recently realised that
34 > bootctl is needed if you want a boot menu of kernels (not counting grub-2,
35 > which I would only install under duress).
36 >
37 > At the end of all this, I'm left wondering what happened to the original
38 > system. (Cosmic-ray strike?) I'm not convinced that Win-10 would go round
39 > seeding something into all those partitions that could exist but don't, on
40 > the disks it wasn't installed on. And why did mkfs not recognise the old
41 > file systems?
42 >
43 > I don't like mysteries.
44
45 Mystery solved. It was a disk failure: a 256GB NVMe drive. It was 4.5 years
46 old, which doesn't seem a long life to me.
49 Regards,
50 Peter.