From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot hangs after install, no error
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:05:25
1 On 06/21/2010 03:37 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > I'm not saying you can't use it just that it doesn't always work. Thing
3 > is, when someone uses genkernel to make the kernel, when someone asks
4 > 'did you include some driver', the usual answer is 'I don't know, I used
5 > genkernel' and then nobody knows whether it is there or not. If a
6 > person builds their own kernel, they usually know if it is there and
7 > better yet how to check and make sure it is there. Also, I don't use
8 > initrd and not sure why most people need one. I don't use modules
9 > either, hence the reason I don't need initrd. Just build in the drivers
10 > and such that are needed to boot until the modules are loaded and that's
11 > it. It's not rocket science. Driver controller, file system that root
12 > uses and that's about it.
13
14 And all I'm trying to point out is that you're making a leap of
15 incorrect logic by ascribing to genkernel characteristics that it
16 doesn't have. The root cause is that they've misconfigured something, so
17 the red herring of "I blah blah blah genkernel blah blah blah" shouldn't
18 set off alarms.
19
20 I've been using it for years and it's always worked for me. Very few
21 times I have seen it crash while trying to build, but never have I seen
22 it do anything untoward or unexpected. Maybe part of the issue is that
23 users might rely on it without supplying enough arguments to it. I had
24 to write my script because I was getting carpal tunnel from typing out
25 the stupid command so many times. That said, I *always* use the
26 --kerneldir argument, so that might explain some things. By default, it
27 just uses /usr/src/linux, even if you're in some other directory, and if
28 you're not aware of that, yeah, I can see how you could bite off your
29 own toes pretty easily and not even notice.