From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] make oldconfig
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 11:39:16
1 2008/8/4, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > It seems like I remember that 'make oldconfig' is not
5 > needed any more, to pass the current (booted) kernel
6 > option to the .config for building a new kernel.
7 >
8 > Of is 'make oldconfig' still a good idea?
11 > James
12
13 At least in the kernel Makefile there is no hint about /proc/config.gz
14 which contains the running kernel configuration, so I think make
15 oldconfig or your favourite kernel configuration tool is still needed.
16 If there is no .config or .config.old it will load a default
17 configuration which is probably not what you want.