From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] make oldconfig
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 19:23:16
1 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > 2008/8/4, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>:
3 >
4 >> Hello,
5 >>
6 >> It seems like I remember that 'make oldconfig' is not
7 >> needed any more, to pass the current (booted) kernel
8 >> option to the .config for building a new kernel.
9 >>
10 >> Of is 'make oldconfig' still a good idea?
13 >> James
16 > At least in the kernel Makefile there is no hint about /proc/config.gz
17 > which contains the running kernel configuration, so I think make
18 > oldconfig or your favourite kernel configuration tool is still needed.
19 > If there is no .config or .config.old it will load a default
20 > configuration which is probably not what you want.
24 Having a config in /proc is a option in the kernel. You just have to
25 turn it on. It is under the General setup as "Enable access to .config
26 through /proc/config.gz". I have mine here:
27
28 root@smoker / # ls -al /proc/config*
29 -r--r--r-- 1 root root 10060 2008-08-05 14:19 /proc/config.gz
30 root@smoker / #
33 It can prove helpful at times.
34
35 Dale