From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] syslog-ng-3.6.1 nearly no log anymore
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 10:32:27
1 On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:54 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 04:11:56PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote
3 >>
4 >> USE=systemd simply means to enable support for systemd, not that it is
5 >> running. Generally stuff like this should be a matter of
6 >> configuration, not build options.
7 >>
8 >> Otherwise your life as a Gentoo user would be a living nightmare when
9 >> you look at how many profile use flags there are.
10 >
11 > There are already some situations where 2 programs cannot co-exist,
12 > e.g. 2 MTAs. This may be a similar situation in principle. A system
13 > daemon may operate differently under openrc than systemd. When I run
14 >
15 > emerge -pv syslog-ng
16 >
17 > I see that a "systemd" USE flag exists, but not an "openrc" USE flag.
18 > I think that's the root of the problem. The default is to support
19 > openrc. When the ebuild sees sees the "systemd", it assumes you're not
20 > running openrc. Maybe the solution for syslog-ng is to add an "openrc"
21 > USE flag. Build in support for whichever flag is set. When
22 > experimenting, people might want to set both "openrc" and "systemd" USE
23 > flags for syslog-ng. If systemd users have to set the "systemd" flag
24 > for some ebuilds, I have no objection to setting the "openrc" USE flag
25 > in make.conf.
26
27 Is the "systemd" USE flag an actual syslog-ng compilation option or it
28 is a flag to generate systemd units when syslog-ng is installed?
29
30 If it's the latter, an "openrc" flag would be a no-op, unless someone
31 wants the option to set "-openrc" and not have a runscript installed.