From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] syslog-ng-3.6.1 nearly no log anymore
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 05:55:21
1 On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 04:11:56PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote
2 >
3 > USE=systemd simply means to enable support for systemd, not that it is
4 > running. Generally stuff like this should be a matter of
5 > configuration, not build options.
6 >
7 > Otherwise your life as a Gentoo user would be a living nightmare when
8 > you look at how many profile use flags there are.
9
10 There are already some situations where 2 programs cannot co-exist,
11 e.g. 2 MTAs. This may be a similar situation in principle. A system
12 daemon may operate differently under openrc than systemd. When I run
13
14 emerge -pv syslog-ng
15
16 I see that a "systemd" USE flag exists, but not an "openrc" USE flag.
17 I think that's the root of the problem. The default is to support
18 openrc. When the ebuild sees sees the "systemd", it assumes you're not
19 running openrc. Maybe the solution for syslog-ng is to add an "openrc"
20 USE flag. Build in support for whichever flag is set. When
21 experimenting, people might want to set both "openrc" and "systemd" USE
22 flags for syslog-ng. If systemd users have to set the "systemd" flag
23 for some ebuilds, I have no objection to setting the "openrc" USE flag
24 in make.conf.
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
28 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications