From: "de Almeida
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] guest additions for vbox-1.6 gentoo guest on xp host
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 17:27:44
1 Just to close this thread with a fix.
2
3 Instead of running vboxadd-xclient in the .xinitrc file, run
4 VBoxClient.
5
6 The seamless mode works and the auto-resize guest display works too.
7
8 Enjoy an almost fully functional gentoo guest inside windows xp. The
9 only issue still pending is sharing the clipboard.
12 Valmor
13
14 > -----Original Message-----
15 > From: de Almeida, Valmor F. [mailto:dealmeidav@××××.gov]
16 > Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 12:06 AM
17 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
18 > Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] guest additions for vbox-1.6 gentoo guest
19 on xp
20 > host
21 >
22 > > -----Original Message-----
23 > > From: PaulNM [mailto:gentoo@×××××××××.com]
24 > > Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:25 AM
25 > >
26 > > de Almeida, Valmor F. wrote:
27 > >
28 > > > Verifying archive integrity... All good.
29 > > > Uncompressing VirtualBox 1.6.0 Guest Additions for Linux
30 > installation
31 > > > ....
34 > > Well, first I'd do a "dmesg | grep vbox" to see if there are any
35 > errors
36 > > listed.
37 >
38 > It is clean.
41 > > When I do a search for 98vboxadd-xclient on my Debian-Etch guest I
42 > find
43 > > /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98vboxadd-client. This is a script that starts
44 > > /usr/bin/vboxadd-client with no options. If you tried the suggestion
45 > in
46 > > the output about adding it to .xinitrc, try running
47 > > /usr/bin/vboxadd-client from an xterminal.
48 >
49 > There is no 98vboxadd-xclient in my gentoo guest system. So I run
50 > vboxadd-xclient within .xinitrc. However I also have tried from an
51 xterm
52 > and here is the result
53 >
54 > Unable to connect to the host system.
55 > Failed to connect to the host system.
56 >
57 > Don't know where to go from here. Are there options when running
58 > /usr/bin/vboxadd-xclient?
59 >
60 > > Another thing, check to make sure that xorg.conf has "vboxvideo" as
61 > the
62 > > driver in the "Device" section. "grep vbox /etc/X11/xorg.conf"
63 >
64 > Yup.
67 > > The DKMS line may just be an informational message.
68 >
69 > I tend to agree.
70 >
71 > > How did you install virtualbox? Make sure the Guest additions cd
72 > you're
73 > > using is the same version as the virtualbox install you have. If you
74 > > installed from portage, but downloaded the additions from the site,
75 > they
76 >
77 > Sorry I confused you. My host is a Windows XP. The guest addition is
78 > certainly from vbox-1.6
79 >
80 > > Hope this helps, post any error messages you see,
81 > >
82 > > PaulNM
83 >
84 > Thank you for your efforts.