From: "de Almeida
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] guest additions for vbox-1.6 gentoo guest on xp host
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 04:06:33
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: PaulNM [mailto:gentoo@×××××××××.com]
3 > Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:25 AM
4 >
5 > de Almeida, Valmor F. wrote:
6 >
7 > > Verifying archive integrity... All good.
8 > > Uncompressing VirtualBox 1.6.0 Guest Additions for Linux
9 installation
10 > > ....
13 > Well, first I'd do a "dmesg | grep vbox" to see if there are any
14 errors
15 > listed.
16
17 It is clean.
20 > When I do a search for 98vboxadd-xclient on my Debian-Etch guest I
21 find
22 > /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98vboxadd-client. This is a script that starts
23 > /usr/bin/vboxadd-client with no options. If you tried the suggestion
24 in
25 > the output about adding it to .xinitrc, try running
26 > /usr/bin/vboxadd-client from an xterminal.
27
28 There is no 98vboxadd-xclient in my gentoo guest system. So I run
29 vboxadd-xclient within .xinitrc. However I also have tried from an xterm
30 and here is the result
31
32 Unable to connect to the host system.
33 Failed to connect to the host system.
34
35 Don't know where to go from here. Are there options when running
36 /usr/bin/vboxadd-xclient?
37
38 > Another thing, check to make sure that xorg.conf has "vboxvideo" as
39 the
40 > driver in the "Device" section. "grep vbox /etc/X11/xorg.conf"
41
42 Yup.
45 > The DKMS line may just be an informational message.
46
47 I tend to agree.
48
49 > How did you install virtualbox? Make sure the Guest additions cd
50 you're
51 > using is the same version as the virtualbox install you have. If you
52 > installed from portage, but downloaded the additions from the site,
53 they
54
55 Sorry I confused you. My host is a Windows XP. The guest addition is
56 certainly from vbox-1.6
57
58 > Hope this helps, post any error messages you see,
59 >
60 > PaulNM
61
62 Thank you for your efforts.