From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which linux RAID setup to choose?
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 21:32:39
1 On 03/05/2020 21:07, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I don't think you should focus so much on whether read=write in your
3 > RAID. I'd focus more on whether read and write both meet your
4 > requirements.
5
6 If you think about it, it's obvious that raid-1 will read faster than it
7 writes - it has to write two copies while it only reads one.
8
9 Likewise, raids 5 and 6 will be slower writing than reading - for a
10 normal read it only reads the data disks, but when writing it has to
11 write (and calculate!) parity as well.
12
13 A raid 1 should read data faster than a lone disk. A raid 5 or 6 should
14 read noticeably faster because it's reading across more than one disk.
15
16 If you're worried about write speeds, add a cache.
17
18 Cheers,
19 Wol